29 December, 2007

Sumi Jo ! / Live at Suntory Hall, Tokyo

At last, on December 9th, I could get a chance to listen to her voice directory!
An amazing coloratura, which was acclaimed as “a voice from heaven” by Herbert von Karajan.

In the end of last year, we saw her on a very popular Japanese TV program named " Daimeinonai Ongakukai”(the concert with no name) that have aired her stages repeatedly, and we were bewitched her performance as soon as watched it. Hence, we bought her some CDs and a DVD forthwith, and then my wife & daughter went to her recital that was held at the Tokyo Opera City this March, and they were knocked down completely. Luckily for me, the recording source of that recital of March was aired on NHK-FM radio this summer. I listened and was really impressed. Lascia chio pianga, Agitata da due venti, and La traviata .... those were miracles. However, my daughter insisted that "the emotion of the 'real' stage is incomparable! "

So, we got her "S-seat" tickets of this December concert for three of us. I knew it was a little bit,,, nope,,, very expensive considering that our daily life, but I expected that it would be a special treat to ourselves as a Christmas present. Actually, it was worth it.

She was collaborating with Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by maestro Yuri Simonov.
All of numbers were wonderful. Especially what impressed me were;
L’etoile du Nord - C’est bien l’air que chaque matin (Meyerbeer)….the collaboration of flute players and her coloratura was amazing!
Les Contes d'Hoffmann - Doll Song (Offenbach)….it was very comical and super performance. You can see her performance with maestro Simonov on YouTube.
La traviata – E strano / Ah fors’e lui / Sempre libera (Verdi)….my favorite song!
Encore songs the blue Danube Waltz, O mio babbino caro, Sakura/Arirang (a cappella)” were also beautiful.

To tell the truth, I am not a hard-core mania of classical music, but just a novice listener, so I cannot describe any professional perspectives about performances. But I can say it really really moved me!
Sumi Jo, the voice from heaven. It was the best Christmas present I've had in years.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hello, I'm also a big fan of Sumi Jo
maybe, do you have the recording source of Sumi Jo's last summer's concert in Tokyo from NHK-FM

I'm looking for that,.
I have also lots of Sumi Jo's recording to trade,,

If you're interested, plz contact me

gocc9q@yahoo.com


In advance, thxs

daniel

3/9/08 16:49  
Blogger Shige_d said...

Hi, Daniel. Thank you for coming!
I'll e-Mail you later on.

Shige

4/9/08 12:21  
Blogger OperaManiac said...

Hello. I found this posting today.
Thanks for your review of Sumi Concert.

I have one question.

Did you record the radio broacast from NHK-FM that you mentioned?

I am a hardcore fan of Sumi Jo & have a lot of recordings of her.

My e-mail address is

smoothiw@naver.com

I will be waiting for your e-mail.

Thanks so much.

24/2/11 06:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home