25 March, 2007

Art workshop in the National Art Center / Roppongi

Last Saturday morning, my daughter joined the art workshop for kids at "the National Art Center, Tokyo" in Roppongi. This museum just opened its doors in this past January. Several years ago, there had been the Institutes of Industrial Science of the University of Tokyo. When I was a highschool student(a quarter of a century ago), I often walked around there, because my grandmother had lived near Roppongi. That was my first visit in a while, and I was supprised the landscape was completely changed.



The theme of the workshop was "Let's design your own simbol". The lecturer was the artist, Mr. Kashiwa Sato, the art director of this museum. This is the symbol of this museum, which was designed by Kashiwa-san.


Around 20 kids gathered to have the workshop.


During the working, all parents were withdrawn. We could not enter the working space until the presentation time. It was just around 1.5hrs, a little bit short to see the gallery (ticket fee was 1500yen), So I walked around the museum building.

There were some cafes(1F and 2F and basement),,,

and cozy restaurant(3F),,,


,,,Paul Bocuse?!!

According to the museum website, this is Mr.Bocuse's first brasserie outside France. It was over 30minites early to opening, but many peaople made a line to get their tables.

There was a musum shop in basement. I'd never seen such large space for a museum shop. I could enjoy there, although I didn't intend to buy anything. There were not only really artistic items but also many kitsch souvenirs. Sorry I forgot taking photos.

I spent most of my time at Art Library(3F).You can read various art books in open stacks freely.


Now the time for presentation!


Kids presented their thought, changes of ideas and final design. She made her symbol mark by fusing a Kanji from her name and her favorit animal, dog.

Wrap-up by Kashiwa-san. (To tell the truth, first time I saw him, I couldn't recognize him as Kashiwa-san, because he was not look like "the art director". I'm sorry, Kashiwa-san!)


Well done, everybody!



The National Art Center, Tokyo: The closest station is Nogizaka of Tokyo Metro. Exit #6 is connected to the museum directly. You can go there from Roppongi station. It takes about 5min on foot.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, it's Mayumi from "Mayumi's Soliloquy". Thank you very much for taking part in the questionnaire!

The new museum looks lovely - really spacious and modern, with lots of sunlight.

I used to have drawing lessons when I was young (in nursery school). I used to get covered in paint!

29/3/07 21:20  
Blogger Shige_d said...

Hi, Kazu.
The design of the museum was cool. I recommend you to visit. Anyway, I'm not sure why Mr.Kurokawa is opposing the plan of Tokyo Olympic. I don't intent to vote for him, because he is just like artist. I want him to be an artist, not to be a governner.

30/3/07 07:06  
Blogger Shige_d said...

Thank you for comming, Mayumi-san!
Today, another new art museum will open in Roppongi area(Tokyo Midtown). Please check it when you come back to Japan.

30/3/07 07:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home